STILL UNSURE ABOUT WHAT TO GET THE BIRDER IN YOUR LIFE FOR THE HOLIDAYS? TAKE A LOOK AT THESE IDEAS…
13. FIELD GUIDE FRENZY Field guides are always a safe bet for the bird lover in your life. Consider getting the well-equipped birder (those who seemingly own every traditional field guide in existence) something new and different, like The Crossley Guide. Birding journals and ornithology books are a great option for advanced birders. To take it up a notch, and add a bird-themed bookmark as a gift tag.
14. BINOCULARS, BABY! Birders demand a lot from their bins. From weight and optical performance to brand and cost, selecting the right binoculars can be a very personal choice. Whether the birder in your life is seeking to upgrade, or looking for an alternative pair of optics to add to their collection, my advice is to do your best snooping in order to find out which glass they’ve set their eyes on. If this isn’t feasible, a gift certificate is your best bet. Think this seems a bit impersonal? Think again! Any birder would be thrilled to be that much closer to getting the binoculars of their dreams!
15. GEAR FOR THE SHUTTERBUG Bird photography is extremely fun. However, capturing compelling avian images can be quite the challenge… so having the best possible photographic equipment is certainly helpful. While camera bodies and telephoto lenses are sure to make any bird photographer swoon, buying gear for the shutterbug in your life doesn’t necessarily mean breaking the bank. In fact, there are a number of photography-related gifts out there that are sure to excite the bird lover in your life. From tripod heads & LensCoats to memory cards and Better Beamers, there are a variety of desirable gadgets available!
While gear is enormously helpful, understanding avian behavior and honing specialized identification and photography skills take some practice…
16. TEACH ME! By nature, birders tend to have an insatiable thirst for learning. By the same token, the excitement of birding only grows with one’s ability to discover, identify and appreciate new bird species. Gifting your favorite birder with an opportunity to utilize the expertise of other experienced birders and improve on her skills is something most birders would love.
From birding classes to photography workshops, there are many chances for the bird watcher in your life to learn more about these feathered jewels and how to capture them in flight and in action. Though there are a ton of options worldwide, you can start by checking out sites like Florida’s Birding and Photo Fest, your local Audubon, Arthur Morris’ Birds As Art, Cape May School of Birding, The Cornell School of Ornithology and The Fat Birder for a list of some additional ornithology courses.
17. FLY LIKE A BIRD! Adventurous birders would, undoubtedly, go crazy for more the chance to visit new and exotic destinations in search of never before seen species. Tropical Birding and On My Mountain are among a number of spectacular birding tour companies that specialize in all sorts of specialized travel opportunities to see unique birds. Gifting family and friends with tickets to annual birding festivals is another way birders can see species away from home, alongside local experts.
18. CONSERVATION GIFTS Many birding organizations and wildlife conservation associations appreciate donations to help them practice wildlife conservation. I cannot name one birder I know who wouldn’t appreciate such a thoughtful gift given in his name. Whether you rescue an acre of rainforest, sponsor wild bird rehabilitation, promote environmental study, or commit to planting a tree, birders will find such a gesture meaningful.
WE HAVEN’T FORGOTTEN ABOUT THE BACKYARD BIRDER! TOMORROW, YOU WILL FIND THIS SEASON’S BEST GIFTS FOR THE BACKYARD BIRD FEEDER IN YOUR LIFE…